Monday, 19 January 2009

10 Things I will Miss

    Apart from the obvious - friends, family and things I have mentioned before, here are 10 things I will miss about England which I promised myself I would do.

  1. Having the post delivered through my front door. Unlike in Australia, we don't have mail boxes out the front of our houses, we have a hole in our front door. So the post gets literally delivered through our front door. It's great on a cold day when you don't want to go outside. I will probably forget to collect the post when we move.
  2. Monsoon, H&M, Gap and Zara. I can't really remember what the shopping was like in Australia when I lived there. 6 years ago, I was a fan of Portmans, Sports Girl, Esprit and Quava (don't think they exist anymore) but my taste has probably changed since then so I will have no idea where to shop when I move back. Monsoon, H&M, Zara and Gap are my favourite shops for clothes for myself and Oliver. I might have to put in a request from my mother in law if she visits us when we move to get a load of clothes for us in the end of season stock sales or hopefully Zara and H&M will have online shopping soon.
  3. The home made pies we get from the farm shop down the road from hubby's parents place. They cost a small fortune but they are so nice. My Dad is a meat pie fanatic and he rates them as one of the best he has ever tasted. They are delicious especially the lamb and mint pie.
  4. Having Europe at our door step. I was lucky enough in my 6 years to visit Ireland, France (X2), Italy (X3), Croatia, Spain (X3), Denmark, Belgium, Wales, Greece, Austria and Czech Republic. There were more places I wanted to visit before we left but we did see a lot which was nice. Having said that, I am looking forward to some road trips in Australia. A few on my list already are Noosa, Byron Bay, Perth and the Great Ocean Road.
  5. Wimborne Minster. It's a great village to live with only about 6000 people and that probably includes the surrounding area. Almost everyday (unless it is pouring with rain or too cold), Oliver and I will take a wander into town which takes about 15 minutes. It has a lovely stream flowing through the town and such quaint and narrow streets. I love that we can go into town and everyone is so friendly and usually, we run into someone we know. If I could put Wimborne into Australia, I would have a perfect place. Over the next month, I plan to take a lot of photos of the area for keepsake so I will share some with you as well.
  6. TV Shows. I must say I don't really watch much TV and I do miss some of the Aussie and America TV shows that you don't get here but I have become addicted to some of the English ones especially X Factor! It's only on for 4 months of the year so I will survive.
  7. Judy's House. Oliver's child care place, it is excellent except for the expensive price at £40a day but they really take care of him there, it is so personable and he even got a great Christmas present from them. I am sure we will find a good one for him in Australia though and hopefully cheaper, it's got to be, right?
  8. Living in our house. Even though my heart wasn't in to decorating it, and if I had my time again I would have done it a bit differently in some of the rooms, but I will miss living in our house. I don't like the idea of people we don't know living in it but hopefully our lovely neighbours will keep an eye on them for us.
  9. Marks and Spencer Food and Waitrose Food. Not that we buy it often but they do have some excellent and fresh prepared meals but they do cost a small fortune. You can even go into the supermarket and buy a fresh sandwich already packaged which aren't bad if you are in a hurry. Is there anything like that in Australia, probably the most similar would be David Jones Food but on a smaller scale, I think.
  10. My chiropracter. How could I forget him. He should be number 1 actually. I spent a small fortune on various massages, physio treatments and chiropracters until I found him. He corrected my problems in a couple of sessions and 4 months ago was the first time I saw him in 2 years. I will go back for a final session next month. I wish I could pack him in my suitcase.

Wow, that was hard but I said I would do it. I am sure there are other things but I couldn't think of them at the time. Stay tuned for hair photos.

4 comments:

Penelope said...

Your little town sounds like the exact place I would love to live.

I'm obsessed by UK home shows like Relocation, Relocation, Escape to the Country and all those types of shows and I always dream of living in a town like you described.

Hey where's the before and after shots of your hair??

Seeker said...

Moving always make mixed feelings.
I've been there, I know how it is.
But you'll have your memories.

Take care dear

xoxo

Girly-Girl said...

I am the biggest meat pie lover and the lamb + mint sounds delicious!

Marks and Spencer Food and Waitrose Food = yum! We have it over here as well.

Hmmm I'm seeing a pattern of my comments relating to food! Interesting read my dear. :)

Old Owl said...

Like you, my wife and I moved to Australia (WA) from England. Truly the only thing we miss is France! Being able to go across to Europe so easily was wonderful and I still miss it now (after ten years living here). Still and all, whenever we have been back to England I couldn't wait to get back home to Mandurah! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. You have a great blog.