Thursday, 5 April 2012

The Day I Lost Felix

Yesterday morning was the worst day of my life. It started out a normal chaotic day of trying to get out the door in time for school but went downhill quite quickly. We got to school and I was assisting Oliver and his friends with a game of handball so I was bending down to their level. The handball area was bedlam. I finished what I was doing, turned around and I could not find Felix. He was gone. I raced around the school frantically trying to find him. I was losing my breath and was beginning to panic. He can be such a clingy child sometimes but then other times, like then, he can be quite independent. Anyway, I ran around the school a few times going round and round in circles retracing our steps and thinking where he could be. The bell rang and I still could not find him. I called on my two friends to help me find him. They tracked him down near the kindergarten rooms. Nowhere near where we were when I lost him.

After school, we then went to the shops. He decided he wanted out of the trolley so I let him. Bad bad mistake. This time, as were going down the escalators to the car, he decided to walk on a bit from me. I couldn't move with him as I had the trolley and it wouldn't allow the trolley to move. I asked him to stop and wait for me. But he didn't. A woman was coming through the automatic doors. I thought, she would stop him but she didn't. I should have asked her to stop him but I kind of froze. As I got to the bottom of the escalators, I left the trolley for dead and grabbed him just as he was about to walk onto the pedestrian crossing. Thankfully, there was someone already walking across so if there was a car, hopefully they were already at a standstill but thankfully, there was no car in sight.

The boy will never learn. I love him dearly but gosh he is a handful.

3 comments:

Liza @ Life with 3 under 3 said...

oh how scary! these kids will make us old before our time, I'm sure of it. My oldest (and only boy) sounds alot like your Felix...

I am who I am said...

Oh you poor thing, I know at school it is manic and I often fear losing Angus!

Leesa said...

Oh my goodness!! What a day you had Simone!!

My youngest Charlotte is like this. She is what I call a runner! Such a handful at times. Thanks for your story. Its stories like this that make me remember that I need to watch her very carefully and keep her in her pram or trolley no matter how much she begs and pleads with me.