Oliver Heaton Goff arrived on the 24th May 2007. He was 4 days late and I was in no hurry to go earlier. I was quite happy for him to wait as long as he wanted. I kind of forgot to read about what labour and birth were like and it was so much worse then I actually expected. It all happened so quickly so I don't know if that was a good thing or a bad thing. I had no signs leading up to this day except for some mild period pain symptoms and a bit of sciatica on two separate occasions on the two days leading up to it. The evening of the 23rd May, I went to bed with some heat packs and didn't know what was planned for me that morning. At 1am, I woke to needing my heat packs to be warmed up so I moved to nudge Alastair to go and do this and as I tapped him on the shoulder, my waters broke. So I was waking him to tell him this instead. The hospital told us to wait at home as long as we could and then make our way down in an hour. After following their advise of having a bath, I couldn't wait any longer and we made the L-O-N-G trip in the car. By the time I got to the hospital, I was already 10cm dialated and ready to push so it all happened quite suddenly. I wanted a water birth but was told it would take 40 minutes and I would have the baby by then. Well, if things went to plan, I may have done but they didn't. Firstly, the baby's head was the wrong way around. Once they got this sorted out, and it was time to start pushing again, his hand came out first. Then his shoulders got stuck. Needless to say I was one very tired, relieved but proud Mummy once little Oliver was lifted and placed on my chest. He was a big baby weighing in at 4.07kg, 53cm and head circumference was 46cm.
Here is the first photo of the two of us together. I still look like crap and it was hours after the birth.
No comments:
Post a Comment